Filarmonica #14 Restoration

Next
Thumbnail 1

Step 1 - Find a damaged Filly. Easier said than done but I scored one. 

Fill Fix 01.jpg

2 - Mask off the part of the blade that is ‘good’ - and get ready to cut off the part that is ‘bad’. Get out the dremel, a cutting disc, and a mason jar of ice water to keep the steel cool. Dremels can blow the temper on a razor so fast it’s not funny - so the ice water is a critical component here. 

 3 - The cutting is done. I have some grinding/shaping to do though. I’ll have to be mindful of the thin-ness of the grind, and my approach on the wheel can only be from the spine to the toe, against the rotation of the wheel. And - going slow is imperative, as is the jar of ice water to keep the steel chilled.  

Fill Fix 03.jpg

 4 - I used a 6” grinding wheel, medium fine grit, to shape the toe- dunking the blade in ice water every few seconds kept the temper safe. I used a sharpie to outline a barber’s notch and a round nose. But I wound up going for a totally different profile. 

Fill Fix 04.jpg

 5 - Final shaping and polishing the toe was done by hand using w/d paper. 

Fill Fix 05.jpg

 6 - I wanted to save the original scales - so they had to be cut down a bit. But, my preference for this restoration ws to make the distance from the pivot hole to the very end to be a bit longer than usual - the extra room for my thumb gives me a bit more control. 

 7 - These scales are a bit ‘soft’ - so cutting them back with flush cutters worked fine. Harder scales would have shattered though. I”m going to use the ears later on, so I’ll save them on the side. 

Fill Fix 07.jpg

 8 - After sanding re-shaping the cut end, and sanding down the rest of the scales - it’s time to drill the hold for the pivot pin. A pin vise is cheap, and extremely effective for this task.  

Fill Fix 09.jpg

9 - With the hole drilled, now we pin it. First - put the pin in. I use pivot washers on the inside to keep the scales from wearing out. 

Fill Fix 10.jpg

 10 - The black stuff is panel tape , it’ll hold the blade in place while I’m pieening the pin down. You can see the washer is set on top of the pin. I’m using an inexpensive Dovo pin here - so I only have to do one side. I do make my own pins from NiAg and brass rod - but I also use this quick-fix pins often. I’m not fussy, and I like using them. 

Fill Fix 11.jpg

 11  -  I use flush cutters to nip the excess pin off. Then I file the pin down a bit so the peening work is done on a relatively flat surface.  

Fill Fix 12.jpg

12  - Then we tap, gently, but firmly, until the pin mushrooms over. Then we tap some more to get the pin to create enough tension so the blade is ‘comfortably snug’.  I should be using tape around the pivot-pin area - but if I’m careful I won’t mar the scales. 

Fill Fix 13.jpg

13  -  Small problem. But not an unforseen one. 

IN the pic below you can see the blade is poking out of the bottom of the scales. 

How did that happen? Well - the scales don’t fit ‘perfectly’  - the gap at the toe is too wide and, as a result, the razor is sitting too low. 

Now - I could pull the wedge, fiddle with all of it to bring the scales closer together. 

Thing is - I want the blade to sit in a svery specific spot, so the curve of the spine follows the curve in the scales nicely.  

So - I need a plan. Well -actually - I had a plan. I saw this issue developing when I was fitting up the scales earlier. 

Remember the leftover ‘ears’ from when I trimmed the scales? 

Fill Fix 14.jpg

14  - I glued the ears together, and sanded them down to make a small ‘block’ of plastic that fit between teh scales. I positioned one flat side up against the tang, and then drilled and pinned it into place. A little CA glue helped keep it in place while drilling. The tang did not clear the newly added support, so Ifiled a channel  nto it; like a groove that let the blade flip through the scales. 

Yep - that’s the pin vise at work. 

Fill Fix 15.jpg

 15 - After that was done - it was time to set the bevel on the 1k Chosera. This razor was NOS - never honed, never even had a factory bevel. So - even though the grind is super-thin, I had a lot of work to do. As a result, the spine is going to show some wear, not a lot, just some. 

Where the edge would have been, from heel to toe, the steel was rotted and full of micro-pitting. I’ll need to take off some steel…  I could tape the spine, but I am planning on taking this razor when I travel - and I really don’t want to have to deal with taping the spine when I’m on vacation. And yes - not using tape means I’ll gain about 1˚ of angle on the bevel over one from a taped-spine. That means the angle will be steeper and the EW will be thinner too. Way I see it - a little spine wear is a small p;rice to pay here. 

Fill Fix 17.jpg

16 - So - after a bevel-set and a full Jnat progression, we’re ready to shave. 

What was, originally, a ‘hopeless’ basket-case, turned out to be the Belle of the Ball. 

Fill Fix 18.jpg


© Keith V Johnson 2014 - 2018